POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV Plug-ins (was Re: pov to moray conversions: possible?) : Re: POV Plug-ins (was Re: pov to moray conversions: possible?) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:17:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV Plug-ins (was Re: pov to moray conversions: possible?)
From: Ian Burgmyer
Date: 19 Mar 2000 20:25:37
Message: <38d57e11@news.povray.org>
Chris Huff <chr### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> > Yeah, you're right.  Then again, there's an interpreted language.
>
> You mean a language you could write plugins in and then refer to their
> files from a scene file?
> Sounds a lot like POV-Script and include files, doesn't it?

I mean something like import/export plugins.

> > How?  All it would be is a module adding to the existing code, even if a
> > cross-platform binary were possible.
>
> But that module could do just about anything once it is called, unless
> it is written in an interpreted language, in which case we already have
> the "plugin" feature.

Not if someone wanted an export plugin.

> > Also, what would be the use of cross-platform plugins?  For instance,
> > a file export/import plugin would likely only be useful for that
> > specific OS. Exporting Moray files, for instance, on a Linux version
> > of POV-Ray would be a waste of time.
>
> Most people think of plugins as doing the same things that include files
> and macros do now. And I don't see how they would be very useful
> otherwise...remove that one part and you don't have much left. I doubt
> that import/export plugins will represent a large portion of their use.
> If there was a way to make a cross platform plugin that was called from
> POV script by object notation, like this:
> PLUGIN_NAME {PARAMETERS, OBJECT MODIFIERS}

We have that already.  #macro

Or did you mean something more interactive, flexible or more complex?

> Just a jumble of random, half-finished, caffeine deprived thoughts. I'm
> going to get some coffee now...

Caffeine. . .haven't had any all day.  Thanks for reminding me!  *runs down
and grabs an RC*

--
This message brought to you by:
-=< Ian (the### [at] hotmailcom >=-